ODBiC Discussion Board

Need to access Access database from local user mapping, not from server

by Frank Wagoner
July 11, 2002 19:13

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if there is any way to have ODBiC access a database based on a local user's network drive mapping instead of from the server. For example, we currently have developed a purchase order system and have the following statement each time the database is accessed:

<!--DATABASE DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=../DOCS/apps/po_system/po_system.mdb;FIL=MS Access; UID=Admin -->

Of course, anyone who has access to our web server will then have access to the PO system as the po_system.mdb file is currently located on the web server. However, I would like to transfer this .mdb file to a shared network drive that only users on our network can access. I tried the following statement without success:

<!--DATABASE DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=S:/Intranet/apps/po_system/po_system.mdb;FIL=MS Access; UID=Admin -->

The only way this will work is if the S: mapping is on the Win2K server which is running the web server software. Of course, this defeats the purpose as all users able to access the web server will then be able to access the PO system which is what I don't want.

To further complicate things, our organization's primary network environment is NetWare and therefore we are not using the Windows 2000 server for anything but to provide access to the web server. I know I can probably set up Active Directory with each user name and password on our network and then assign rights to a location on our web server for just those users with everyone else not having access, but this is a lot of work and will require making changes to NetWare and Win2K Server every time an employee comes on board, leaves, or changes their password as NetWare and Win2K server don't syncronize user names/passwords well (at least in my experience).

If anyone has an idea on how to get ODBiC to access the mdb file based on a "user's mapped drive" and not from the server, I would be greatly appreciative! Otherwise, ODBiC is allowing me to transition all of our proprietary apps to web-based ones, and I am extremely pleased with the product so far :)

Thanks! Frank

Replies:

Post Your Reply:

Name   
E-mail  optional
Topic  
HTTP Link: 
Link text: 

Copyright ©1997, Roger Harris. All rights reserved.